|No. 1 Duke at Wake Forest
|When: Jan. 8 | 7:00 PM (ET)|
|Where: LJVM Coliseum|
|Watch Live: ESPN|
|Listen Live:Blue Devil IMG Sports Network|
- No. 1 Duke hits the road for the first time in ACC play, renewing its long-time rivalry with Wake Forest on Tuesday.
- The Blue Devils and Demon Deacons are meeting for the 250th time, with Duke leading the series against its most-frequently played rival, 171-78.
- Duke is the only team in the top five nationally in both offensive efficiency and defensive efficiency, currently ranked second in each.
- Over Duke’s seven game winning streak, it has held each opponent to its lowest offensive efficiency of the season.
- Freshmen RJ Barrett and Zion Williamson are the only pair of power conference teammates each averaging 20 points per game -- Barrett leads the ACC and is 13th nationally (22.9), with Williamson third in the league (20.2).
- With Duke ranked No. 1 this week, Mike Krzyzewski has tied John Wooden for most weeks ranked No. 1 by a coach (121).
- Freshman Tre Jones leads the ACC and is third nationally in assist-turnover ratio (5.85). He has turned the ball over 13 times in 13 games this season.
- Junior Javin DeLaurier has made 16 consecutive field goals -- four shy of the ACC record set by Duke’s Alaa Abdelnaby during the 1988-89 season.
- For a team that leads the country in blocked shots per game (11.9), is second nationally in steals per game (11.6) and 14th in turnovers forced (17.8), Duke has committed the nation’s 14th-fewest fouls (208).
Duke vs. Wake Forest
Duke and Wake Forest are meeting for the 250th time in a series that dates to the 1905-06 season. The Blue Devils lead the series 171-78, including a 49-39 edge in road games…Duke has won eight straight in the series -- its second-longest active ACC winning streak behind 11 consecutive wins over Georgia Tech…Duke battled Wake Forest twice in Duke’s inaugural season of 1905-06, falling 24-10 on March 2 in Durham and falling 15-5 on March 16 in Winston-Salem…Duke is 18-11 when playing at Lawrence Joel Veterans Memorial Coliseum (16-11 versus Wake) and has won four straight in the venue…Each of Duke’s last 10 leading scorers in a Duke-Wake game are now playing in the NBA.
Duke's Most Frequent Rivals
At 249 previous games, Wake Forest is Duke’s most-frequently played rival…Duke’s 248 games versus North Carolina and 247 games versus NC State are next.
On This Date
Duke is 15-9 all-time when playing on January 8, including four previous games against Wake Forest (3-1)…The Blue Devils have won eight consecutive on this date, and last played in 2013 -- a 68-40 win over Clemson at Cameron Indoor Stadium.
Defense Makes Statement
Duke enters the Wake Forest game as the only team in the top five of both offensive and defensive efficiency, and one of two teams in the top 10 for both (Virginia)…Over the Blue Devils’ seven game winning streak, the team has held each opponent to its season-low for offensive efficiency…Each of the seven has shot less than .500 from the field, including six less than .400. From three-point range, six have shot less than .320.
Duke’s bench was big in the ACC-opening win over Clemson, led by junior Jack White matching his career-high with 12 points and junior Marques Bolden scoring 11 points with five boards in 15 minutes…The bench out-scored Clemson’s 31-20 -- Duke’s most bench points in an ACC game since the 2016-17 season.